The client, a Cryptocurrency Mining firm, asked the TresVista team to provide a competitive benchmarking analysis. The client specifically wanted to see their performance in the public equity markets compared to its publicly listed competitors and wanted to show this to their board of directors to highlight their competitive position in the market. The client gave the team significant freedom to explore and portray benchmarking areas as per the judgement.
To build a competitive benchmarking deck to be used for analysis.
The TresVista team followed the following process:
• Started off with deep web research to understand the relevant metrics in the industry. The benchmarking was primarily driven on price movements of the company and its competitors, including the prices of BTC and major equity indices
• A comprehensive excel template was built with many automated elements that made it easier to update the comps monthly
• Updated commentary and added news/research pieces to give rationale for any movements in comparison to the previous months
• The final output comprised of a deck as well as the backup excel so that the client could make any tweaks in case they wished to do any custom analyses
The major hurdles faced by the TresVista team were:
• The team was not provided with any reference material for this exercise
• The team had to produce ideas from scratch for comparing relevant metrics of the industry
The team overcame these hurdles by doing extensive web research and arranging frequent client calls to discuss and confirm the approach.
The TresVista team automated the excel file to a large extent to make the update process quicker. The metrics chosen by the team for the analysis were directly relevant and helpful for measuring the competitive position of the Client in the market.