The client, an E-commerce marketplace aggregator, wanted the TresVista Team to analyze a target Amazon marketplace seller’s brand performance vis-à-vis the top competing brands in the same product category. This includes performing a market segmentation analysis to assist the client with the due diligence phase of the transaction. The client also wanted to look at the organic ranking to assess the top search terms for the category and visualize the competitive position of top brands in terms of their sales, product reviews, and price.
To analyze an Amazon marketplace seller’s brand performance vis-à-vis the top competing brands in the same product category. Perform a segmentation analysis to assess the historical dollar amounts and unit sales, reviews, average price, and growth rate for brands in the category.
The target brand name and the relevant product categories were provided by the client.
The TresVista Team followed the following process:
• Gathered data for the products in the category using an online sales analytical tool
• Screened the products to identify comparable products to include in the analysis
• Exported the product list along with the historical sales data to carry out the market segmentation analysis through the standardized template
• For the organic ranking analysis, exported the keywords and search volume data for each product from the online tool. This was followed by identification of keywords that were relevant to the products in the category. The rank of each top product is then mapped to high volume and high ranking keywords in the analysis
• Finally, the results from the analyses performed above were visualized through graphs to show market trends and the competitive position of brands
The following were the hurdles faced by the TresVista Team:
• Limited Organized Data: Sellers were usually small enterprises with little/no data
• Data Discrepancies: Gaps in revenue and keywords data exported from the analytics tool; few products may not get processed for determining historical performance
• Finding Competitors: Few category products had a very high differentiation
The TresVista Team undertook measures on a case-by-case basis to address these hurdles. For instance, if the tool does not return keywords data for a certain product, the TresVista Team tried to identify any similar variant for the product on Amazon to include in the organic ranking analysis. The team also informed the client on any discrepancy observed and the measures taken to address it.
The list of products that had to be included in the analysis ranged anywhere between 100 – 700, which was a time-consuming process. The TresVista Team created a standardized process that could turn around multiple segments daily to keep up with the deal inflow of clients. To further improve efficiency, the TresVista Team developed bespoke excel macros to automate processes such as inserting product images from websites directly into Excel and formatting worksheets. The TresVista Team captured product differentiators and product features & specifications in the analysis which helped the client further understand the competitive landscape in the category and address questions such as why certain products command a premium in terms of pricing.